Skip to main content

My WebAssembly journey and why I think it is so important


 

 

 

 

 

 

WebAssembly or WASM is a "is a binary instruction format for a stack-based virtual machine. Wasm is designed as a portable compilation target for programming languages, enabling deployment on the web for client and server applications." (https://webassembly.org/). 

It was designed for replacing Flash and ActionScript in the Browsers, but since the invention of the Web Assembly System Interface ( WASI ) several runtime implementations, like wasmtime, appeared and make it runnable at the server as well. 

The BytcodeAlliance as a nonprofit organization, supported by a lot of the big players in the cloud computing sector, drives the progress of the evolution. 

 As mentioned in many posts in the Web, that I don't want to repeat here, even one of the founders of Docker said, that they don't have to invent Docker if it had been availaible in 2008. 

 

I found out that container image registries, that support OCIv2 are capable to host WASM modules as well. That takes my to the decission to play a little bit around with it. I found the Wasm2Oci project, that enables me to move my first "hello world" WASM to bundle.bar 

I discovered Krustlet a project in experimental state, which aims to provide a node for WASM workload within an kubernetes cluster. I created my first Kubernetes for WASM and it works. 

 

I really was exited about the possibilities for Microservices and Serverless workloads.

 

 This was so cool... That all happens a year ago or so.... 

 

 


Having spare time at end of 2022, started again checking was going on... 

 

In the mean time the CNCF has spent a own subsection for WASM in their landscape. Wow. I was on the right track, I guess. 

 

Sadly after I checked the Krustlet Github Repository, I found that it was orphaned since a year or so. 

The krustlet project mainly was driven by Microsoft employees, but the left the company and grew their own startup named Fermyon

The reason seems to be, that they are building a new platform based on Hashicorps Nomad. In addition they built a Framework named SPIN that ease development with WASM. 

 

 I think that will be my next area of experiments...WASM rocks !!

Comments